Craig Sapp Rescue Scam- Pet adoption gone horribly wrong!

I want to share my story in the hopes that it will save at least one family from the emotional heartache and financial troubles Craig Sokol Sapp Rescue (also goes by Sapp Rescue) put me through, and the false hopes that he would help after months of unfulfilled promises.

I was interested in adopting a puppy for myself and my girlfriend, specifically to surprise my girlfriend for her birthday. I thought I found the perfect pup (an 8 week old lab/terrier mix) through Craig Sapp Rescue off Mr. Sapp and I spoke of the adoption and he gave me all the information, including the meeting place and the fee of $360. I told him the money was an issue and I would either have to wait until the following week when it was closer to my girlfriend's birthday and I would have the money or pass on this opportunity. I received a call from him the next day stating he would take $80 off the adoption fee and the new price would be $280 if I would adopt the next day, which he asked me not to share this discount with anyone. I thought this was a sign that it was meant to be.

I adopted our new puppy Bailey (Labeled SR-801 on the site) on Sunday March 3rd and surprised my girlfriend early. The first two days were great, and we bonded with our Bailey instantly. 2 days later we took her to the vet as she was not acting right and we were informed she had Parvovirus, which symptoms don't show for 5-7 days. If you are not familiar with Parvovirus, also called Parvo, it is a deadly virus that attacks the immune system and white blood cells of dogs, particularly puppies that come from the South (Here is a link with further info:… ). After research and discussing with our vet, we came to the conclusion she was given to us when she already had Parvo. Our vet gave us our options, either put her down or try around the clock treatment with only a 50% chance of survival. This being our first puppy, I wanted to do whatever it took and we chose the option to try and save her. Our Bailey passed away 4 days later on March 9th (my girlfriend's birthday) after being on fluids and medication in a 24 hour facility for 4 days.

I contacted Mr. Sapp regarding this, as our adoption contract stated he is not responsible for any incurring vet bills, but may be held responsible for reimbursement if the pet passes away from illness within 7 days. Our initial phone conversations were reassuring, stating he would reimburse me for the adoption fee of $280 and even try to help with some vet bills. He stated he would need some time to come up with the money, as he would need to take care of the Parvovirus on his premises as it is highly contagious. I told him that wouldn't be an issue and respected what he was doing and how he was handling this.

To make a long story short, weeks went by then months went by, and the excuses kept coming in. At this point all I was asking for was the initial $280 adoption fee (which now I see the reduction in price he gave me was a ploy to get rid of the dog, perhaps knowing she was sick). He seemed genuine on the phone, but I now realize he was telling me whatever I wanted to hear. He spoke to me about "his word" that he was not dodging the situation and the reimbursement would come. All lies. In our last conversation over a week ago, he stated he was mailing a $100 check and if I don't receive it he stated "...You can sue me or whatever". I live in New Jersey, he lives in South Carolina, and we made the exchange in Delaware so hopefully you see what my issue is there (suing out of state in small claims court is nearly impossible or costs a fortune in time, money, and travel).

I Emailed regarding this, and have not heard a thing. The only thing I feel I can do at this point is share my story in the hopes that it helps other be more cautious with who you deal with when adopting, particular Mr. Craig Sokol Sapp. I respect the whole adoption thing, but the way Mr Sapp runs his adoption agency is highly unethical and I just don't want anybody else to go through what I went through. Not only being out over $1300 between the adoption fee and the vet bills, but also the emotional toll this placed on my girlfriend and I.

Please do your research and if you are reading this because you may be considering doing business with Mr Sapp (And I say business because there is no doubt in my mind he makes profit off pushing these puppies on people). His "Rescue" is stationed in Belton, South Carolina, but he advertises in Washington DC, Baltimore MD, Delaware, and occasionally Gibbsboro, NJ.

I invite Mr Sapp to respond to this, as I am no longer hearing from him.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 16 Yes 16 1 No 1
Had the same issue 4 Yes 4
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
Alice Jett

Aug 11 #1197534 Knoxville, Tennessee

I have cured 2 of my puppies that had parvo. I used raw liver with the blood, put it in a blender until smooth but not watery. Then used a syringe to force feed them a little every hour. And do the same thing with water. About 3 days should do it. And I changed and cleaned their bedding every day. Hope this helps if you should have this problem again. Alice Jett in Tennessee

Jul 08 #1182914 Providence, Rhode Island

I adopted a pup from Arkansas that used this transport "company". She came home with kennel cough, which luckily she was previously vaccinated for. The dog I have at home was not prepared for the virus invasion and he is contracted a life threatening case of it. I received my rescue dog off of a windowless box truck with crates stacked to the ceiling. It was like I picked up a piece of furniture. They hadn't cared for those dogs throughout that long trip from Arkansas to Connecticut. If I had known my new addition would be shipped under those circumstances I would have saved myself the emergency vet costs and had her transported properly.

Jun 09 #1170696

I cannot help but to add the following simple message:
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOFREAKING EVER, bring another puppy into your household after having a separate puppy on the premises that was diagnosed with parvo. You can bleach, steam clean, change out bedding, replace carpeting or other non-sealed flooring, clean the living *** out of your yard, and it will be in vain. Unless you wait AT MINIMUM until the new puppy is 16 weeks of age AND has had a full set of CPV vaccination boosters (AT MINIMUM...hopefully more like a set of DA2PP, but for the sake of the illness at hand, we'll disregard that), the new puppy will run a profound risk of contracting parvo themselves. It would also be preferable to wait at minimum a year before looking for said 16 week old fully vaccinated puppy.
this is serious stuff, y'all.

May 14 #1158990

Dude. Look at my Facebook page. (Laura Frances O'Rourke, Branford, CT.)This is a total scam, and a pathetic exploitation of animals

0 1 Reply

Apr 09 #1142167

Do you know if he's also a Police officer? I am looking into complaints against an Officer Craig Sapp of Central S.C Dept. Or was?

Feb 27 #1119022

You need to find out where your puppy was vaccinated. If it was at a vet, get the vaccination company's name and send them your vet bills with vet notes. They have to pay for it if your pup was vaccinated with their anti-parvo medicine AT A VET'S OFFICE, not at a local feed store or by a lay person.
Dr. Pearce Stage Road Animal Hospital
Memphis, TN.
Look him up.

Feb 27 #1119017

I ran across your story while working and felt compelled to tell you my perspective of the parvovirus.
Source: I live in the south. Our family veterinarian discovered the first case of the parvovirus I believe in 1971; named it Tennessee Parvovirus. Our pup caught the virus at 4 months old last July AFTER being vaccinated for it. Luckily our puppy lived and also the vaccination company paid for her 7 day hospital stay, because she was vaccinated with their medicine.
What I know now about parvo:
1. It has mutated. The current vaccinations are not working.
2. In the summer at night when the temperature doesn't drop below 80 degrees, it spreads like wild fire. 3. It mimics the human Ebola virus and attacks their digestive system. So what I'm saying is it is very possible that this man did not know this 8 week old pup was sick when he brought it to you. It comes on so fast that your dog's first symptoms are lethargy followed by mucus in the stool and vomiting mucus. You guys played with this puppy for 2 whole days after he traveled a day watching him run around and play. The only way this man would have known the puppy had parvo was if he had a lot of other dogs sick with it and tested that one and purposely sent you him. In that case, I would investigate him to see if that is a reoccurring issue or not. I know you guys went through a lot with the loss of your sweet puppy. I know we did and I can't imagine what it would have felt like if we would have
... Show more

Sep 09, 2015 #1031922

I also adopted a puppy; not from the same person but from Rescue Volunteer Adoptions, RVA, out of Arkansas. Our puppy died of parvo exactly one week after we got her (she had supposedly had her initial vaccinations). I called and emailed RVA and the group that transported her, Got Orphan Transport, but got absolutely no response. Please, please don't adopt from someone you don't know. The heartache is unending.

Sep 09, 2015 #1031933

So sorry for your loss. I agree, the heartache was terrible. The attachment with any pet sets in right away, and even after only that 1 week she was already part of the family. It's hard to do the humane thing and adopt when you have such a horror story like this. Best of luck.

Nov 26, 2013 #748380 Richfield, Minnesota

I just had a now civil court cat experience. Richfield, pet's smart. Awful. Attack ing the elderly. Well guess what chicken from wis. Prison for s very long ti r

Jul 06, 2013 #675624 Browns Mills, New Jersey

Yes we looked for months too but he was clearly only in it for the money, he shared with us a little more than he should have. He said he was adopting dogs for $60-$80 and he was flipping them for $250-$400, but yet he claimed to be a non profit organization, which is complete *** to me ! He also said the vet he worked with would pretty much give him everything free, so although we did receive our puppy with his first set of shots, he was taking advantage of so many people. And regardless if the puppy was well or not, he owes us $1,300.00 of which we have not received a penny. He is also put of business because of it. We had him reported to every animal shelter possible & every Internet dog adoption possible. He has since changed his number, I don't doubt it, he owes so many people money why would he keep the same number ? He also told me he was no longer adopting puppies (since he no longer can) because it wasn't worth it to him. Now that doesn't exactly sound like someone who's main interest is to save as many puppies, what he did was just plain ***, he caused someone a lot of pain, fortunately out puppy survived, but when we met him he had 5 puppies in a crate that was only big enough to fit one full sized cat, the poor puppies were so dirty and looked like they hasn't been fed in days. I understand he traveled to reliever the puppies but that's not how you present a puppy to anyone who just drove miles and paid $380 for them. It's unacceptable and I am glad he is out of... Show more

Jul 22, 2013 #685075 Aston, Pennsylvania

I too am sorry for your loss and the troubles you had. My family adopted a pup from Craig back in Dec. Anytime you rescue a dog from a shelter there are potential health issues, especially coming from the south. Our pup had some worm issues which many pups have anyway, but ours were a little different because of the type of parasite she had. I contacted Craig immediately, he said he would pay for the vet if we needed them. That wasn't necessary, and we did not pursue collecting money.
We have a healthy, lovable, loyal, smart 11 month old golden/shepherd mix.
It sure is a risk you take when adopting from so far away, and you just never know what your going to get. I am so sorry for your loss.
I tried to send Craig an update on our Bella and it kept bouncing back. This is how i came across this site.........answers why it bounced back i assume. Good luck in the future with finding a pup!

1 0 Reply

Jul 05, 2013 #675233

I am sorry to hear about both of your troubles, but we too adopted a puppy from Craig Sapp and we had a good experience. Our puppy was a little sick when we got her, but they did warn us that this may occur, which is to be expected being they have to travel for 12 hours. She is a happy healthy 10 month old and we have had no health problems since. Again I am sorry you went through this, but I think his main goal is to save as many puppies as he can from the kill shelters. When you are adopting a pet unfortunately you are not guaranteed the same health conditions as you would be from a breeder. In addition, he was the most affordable we could find and I looked for months.

Jun 30, 2013 #672149 Fort Dix, New Jersey

We saw your pup and called him to let him know our dog had Parvo the same day we got him literally 2 hours after we got him we are located in New Jersey as well and he did the same thing to us he had 5 dogs in one small crate your pup ours and 3 others I told him our dog was sick and to come get him from the vets and he stated to us he would reimburse us for the vet bill and if sr700 passed away this guy is a *** bag and avoided us for months and has changed his number we are notifying animal control in his county this week and hope to sue him unfortunately we have to sue in North Carolina because that is his location please contact us

Jun 30, 2013 #672205 Plainfield, New Jersey

Im sorry to hear you went through all this also. I know exactly what you mean when you describe your encounters with him. This whole incident scared my girlfriend and I. I thought of small claims court but I am told it is such a hassle and really not worth it considering the distance, due to the fact all the legal matters must be handled in his state. If you need a statement or anything else from me, Ill be more than willing.

The only thing I feel like I can do is make it known to others so they dont go through what I went through. Ive emailed adoptapet and his "rescue" was removed, as well as the better business beaurue in his area, consumer reports, yelp (which took my review down twice for some reason) and

Feel free to contact me regarding this further. He needs to be stopped.

Jun 13, 2015 #994766 Clarksville, Tennessee

He lives on Brazil Street in Belton South Carolina 29627 I'll get you the house number very shortly and I will think of his cell phone number and I'll make sure your people get this information and Sue that lying *** he weighs about 350 pounds now and has fortunes and he still running puppies and I'm trying to figure out what name the companies under but I'll let y'all know that too

1 0 Reply

Jun 29, 2013 #671377 Browns Mills, New Jersey

Omg I just went through the same thing with him. We paid $900.75 in vet bills on top of the $380 we paid for our puppy, I am so sorry to hear about Baiely, our puppy actually made it thank God. He was supposed to reimburse us the money and he never did, we too met in Delware on March 3rd we were the first puppy to go to the vet and we contacted him and told him to make sure he contacted everyone else. He seemed so sincere and told us he would pay us back every peppy & that we had no reason not to trust him. He never paid us a penny of it & he has now changed his number, I contacted petfinder and adopta pet and he is no longer able to adopt puppies. Please feel free to contact me, I am in the process of taking him to small claims.

2 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Craig Sapp Rescue. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Craig Sapp Rescue.
Filing a new complaint about